Aloe Vera is simply amazing for the skin! It heals inflammations, repairs damage, aids in cell renewal, combats sun damage, soothes skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema, locks in moisture, evens skin tone, and much more. One way to incorporate aloe vera in your skincare routine is to use it in the form of a homemade gel.
Make your own fresh aloe gel!
Even though the gel is available at any department store, it is advisable to make your own at home, as store-bought products could contain potentially harmful additives like dyes or other chemicals.
You can get aloe vera leaves from the plant itself. Leaves are quite long and slightly curved with ragged edges. The gel is stored in the thick fleshy part that comes out of the skin of the leaf.
One or Two Leaves are enough to make 1/2 or 1 cup of gel. Do not cut too many leaves if the plant is young, please!
What is the recipe to make aloe vera gel?
- Aloe vera leaf
- Vegetable Peeler
- Clean bowl
- Cut 1 or 2 leaves
- Drain the resin for 10 minutes. Place the leaves upright in a cup to let the dark yellow resin drain out.
- Chop off the ragged edge.
- Peel the leaves on one side with a vegetable peeler
- Scoop the gel out with a spoon or knife. Don’t scrape the yellowish part as it has toxins!
- To preserve the gel for longer, use vitamin C powder, or vitamin E oil. Add a few drops to the gel and blend for 30 seconds.
- Store in a clean air-tight container and refrigerate.
The aloe vera gel stays fresh for about a week. Apply the gel on your face as is, or use it in a face mask recipe.
Clay Mask with Aloe Vera
- 1 teaspoon of clay mask
- 1 teaspoon of aloe vera
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
This mask is great for sunburns and breakouts...