Common dilemma: should face masks be applied before or after a shower?
Whether you should apply face masks before or after a shower depends upon your skin type and the kind of face mask being used.
The best way to apply a mask
- Use a cleanser to get rid of surface impurities.
- Apply the mask in such a way that the layer is thin and uniform on the entire face and neck.
- Be sure to avoid the eyes and lips.
- If you use exfoliating masks, you might need to massage them into the skin for a few seconds.
- Wait for 10 to 15 minutes – the time is mentioned in the product instructions. Drying masks for oily skin are usually left on for a shorter amount of time, while hydrating and anti-aging masks should be left on longer.
- Always rinse with warm water and use a soft washcloth to remove all traces of the face mask.
- Follow with a moisturiser
A weekly or bi-weekly routine of applying a face mask can work wonders for your skin, but it is an addition that might seem time-consuming. A lot of beauty experts advise that you can cut down on this time by incorporating the application of face masks into the shower routine. But it isn’t that simple! Your face should be absolutely free of dirt, oil, and makeup before you apply the mask or it won’t be of any use. You can wash your face at the sink, apply the mask, and then step into shower.
If that isn’t feasible, just wash your face in the shower, put on the mask, and keep it on while going about the rest of the showering routine. The problem with the second option is you are unable to see if you have evenly applied the mask in the shower and water might trickle on to it before it sets. Those with dry skin can choose this method as it helps to seal in the moisture from your mask and the shower. To prevent over-drying of skin, follow up right away with an emollient-rich moisturizer when you finish showering.
As is evident, this approach involves the application of a face mask once you are done with showering. Just wash your face and slather on the mask. This technique works best with deep cleansing masks for oily and combination skin, such as those made from mud and charcoal. Your pores open up from showering first from the water and steam, thus preparing the skin for a better cleansing experience.
Always take your skin type into account before applying face masks. You can also consult a professional about whether to put on face masks before or after a shower!
Can you put makeup on after a face mask?
It is best to avoid putting on makeup after a face mask, as the skin is freshly cleansed. Allow some time for the ingredients in the mask to get absorbed. However, you can put on a touch of mascara, lip gloss, and mineral powder base. If your skin is sensitive, it is recommended not to put on makeup for 24 hours after washing off the facial mask.